Pediatric Nurse Practitioner and social media influencer Jenean Sampson shares five fundamentals every Nurse Practitioner student needs to do to be highly effective.
She discussed her go-to tools, tips for understanding coursework, must-do study habits, and why it’s never too early to start preparing for your board exams. And, she wrapped up the session with a Q&A.
Watch now! ► ► ►
Looking for a quick summary of Jenean’s fundamentals?
5 Fundamentals for Highly Effective Nurse Practitioner Students
1. Examine Your Study Habits
What you did in undergrad isn’t going to cut it. Choose a dedicated study space, and plan to study for three to five hours daily. And, find your people. If a study group is right for you, find them early.
2. Study Smarter, Not Harder
Use your course syllabus to create a study routine:
- Step 1: Read the material
- Step 2: Watch the corresponding Picmonic(s) covering the topic(s)
- Step 3: Take the quiz at the end of the Picmonic
- Step 4: Attend the lecture
- Step 5: Continue to cover healthcare topics with regular daily spaced repetition quizzes
3. It’s Never Too Early to Start Thinking About Your Certification Exam
The Examination Content Blueprint is on the exam certification website. Using this blueprint, determine what topics to focus on (typically the ones weighted more heavily on the test). Dedicate more time to studying high-yield content.
4. Honor Your Role as a Student: Ask Questions
You can’t learn if you don’t ask. Don’t be afraid to reach out if you need help or don’t understand a concept. Instructors and professors have office hours, take advantage of these.
5. Take Care of You
Squash all the drama in your life NOW. Classes and coursework are only going to get busier, you ain’t got time for all that drama. And, practice self-care.
Nurse Practitioner Student Resources (at the Click of a Mouse)
- 6 Tips to Excel in Your Nurse Practitioner Program in 2021
- Top Resources for Nurse Practitioners for 2021
- Top Nurse Practitioner Questions & Answers in 2021
- 5 Insider Tips for Planning Your 2021 Nurse Practitioner (NP) School Experience
- Nurse Practitioner Specialties & Your Path to Advanced Practice Nursing in 2021
- Nurse Practitioner Exam Prep in 2021: Making the Most of Your Study Sessions
- 4 Tips to Successfully Pass the FNP Board Exam in 2021
- 5 Insider Tips for Nurse Practitioner School
Download our mobile app and take Picmonic on the go!