Effective and efficient preparation for USMLE® Step 1 and Step 2 (CK) and COMLEX is vital to success in medical school, securing your preferred residency match, and becoming a successful physician. Marc Katz, MD (@kittykatzmd) shares the comprehensive techniques, study tools, and strategies for successful USMLE Step prep. Followed by a Q&A session.
5 Strategies for Successful USMLE Step Prep
STRATEGY 1: Successful USMLE Step prep starts EARLY.
HINT: Picmonic offers a 6 Months to Step Workbook, but you should start WAY before this. Like from day one.
STRATEGY 2: Focus your USMLE studies on what you’re presently learning in class, but go “one step deeper.”
If you’ve extra time, hit review subjects.
STRATEGY 3: Treat Uworld like gold.
Use a different QBank early and save UWorld for your dedicated period. It’s a chance to practice taking USMLE-style tests. Always pretend like you’re in the testing facility and stay focused.
STRATEGY 4: Active studying is PARAMOUNT.
Just reading and re-reading has been proven to be of low efficacy. As you study, really think about the “big picture”. Tie pharma back to physio and biochem, ask yourself “why” CONSTANTLY, and always try to make multidisciplinary integrations.
PS: Spaced Rep comes in handy here.
STRATEGY 5: Use Board-specific Anki cards, especially ones with photos and Picmonics on them.
Med Student Tools & Resources: At the Click of a Mouse🖱️
- First Year of Med School: 5 Ways to Thrive in 2021
- From 1st to 4th Year: How to Operate at Your Best in Medical School
- Top Med Resources and Channels for Medical School Students in 2021
- 3 Study Tools to Dominate USMLE Step 1 & Step 2
- Tips for Success in Med School in 2021 (How I Scored 275 on USMLE STEP 1)
- Picmonic and First Aid = Top STEP 1 Scores
- How Long Should I Study for USMLE Step 1?
- What is the Secret to Getting a Good Match for Medical Residency?
Download our mobile app and take Picmonic on the go!